The Biomass Research and Development (BR&D) Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) is made up of approximately 30 volunteers from industry, academia, nonprofits, and local government. The BR&D TAC holds quarterly, public meetings that are announced in the Federal Register. Official functions of the BR&D TAC include:
- Advising the Secretary of Energy, the Secretary of Agriculture, and the points of contact concerning:
- The technical focus and direction of requests for proposals issued under the initiative
- Procedures for reviewing and evaluating the proposals.
- Facilitating consultations and partnerships among federal and state agencies, agricultural producers, industry, consumers, the research community, and other interested groups to carry out program activities relating to the initiative
- Evaluating and performing strategic planning on program activities relating to the initiative.